How To Open DLL File?
Well, first of all, what are DLL files? Before we get to how to open these files, let’s know what these files are actually in the first place.
What is a DLL file?
DLL is an abbreviation for Dynamic Link Library. These files only work in the Windows operating system and comprise of functions and procedures to run a particular program on the computer. These files mainly help the OS to run smoothly with the existing applications that you have installed on the same. These files are very sensitive and deleting these files may harm the functionality of the application based on these files. Even altering them might cause harm to your related applications. Hence, it is recommended to not play with these files unless you are a programmer and have a due knowledge of the same.
The DLL files as told earlier work or function only on Windows OS and these files are never found in a Mac OS or Linux or Ubuntu when you install any program these files open and work in the background.
Sometimes, while installing a certain program or application, it may ask you to install DLL files at a certain location but make sure that you trust this program or application. Because at times these DLL files are malicious as well.
There are two methods to open dll files that appear very commonly on the PC. To open dll files one has to either register a new dll file or open the existing dll file for the program or the application.
Method 1– Let’s see how to Open DLL files
Register a DLL file
- Initially, you will have to go to the window registry.
- Then you have to open the command prompt. You can find the command prompt either in the start menu or by pressing the windows button + R and type cmd. This will definitely reach you to the command prompt.
- In case, if you are using windows or any newer version then locate the DLL files. Then hold the shift key and right-click on the folder to select “Open command window here”. The command prompt will directly open to that folder.
- At this step, you have to type regsvr32 dllname.dll and then press the enter button. The dll file will be added to the windows registry.
- If you wish to remove the dll file from the windows registry then just type regsvr32 -u dllname.dll in the command prompt.
Method 2– Open DLL files
It is necessary to follow any set of steps in ascending order to avoid any kind of problems in the future, so here are the steps for the same:
- The first step is to go to the Start Menu.
- Then, find Visual Studios and click on it following with an enter button.
- Go to the above folder.
- Press the icon “Visual studio Command prompt” for VS 2010 and press the icon “Developer Command prompt” for VS 2013
- Type in the bar “ILDASM.EXE” and press enter.
- The next task is to drag the.DLL file to the window.
- Click on “file->new” then add required .DLL file.
- Manifest and.DLL file will appear.
- Now just press these files to see what it contains.
Get clarification for different pieces of the code.
It is a very challenging task to understand the whole concept, but in the meanwhile, one can use the Quick Documentation feature to see what the command actually performs.
Place your cursor in the piece of code that you need documentation for in the Code Viewer frame.
Press Ctrl + Q to load the Quick Documentation window.
Follow the hyperlinks to learn more about each aspect of the code you are examining.
Now we know two methods that explain how to open a DLL file. Windows run many software and application that run DLL in the background and check it’s finely working because it matters a lot these days.
When a program uses a DLL, an issue that is called dependency may cause the program not to run. When a program uses a DLL, a dependency is created. If another program overwrites and breaks this dependency, the original program may not successfully run.
Now, here onwards, you will manage your DLL files and manage the timely performances of the PC.